1. My old SoundBlaster card is an 8-bit card.
a.) (3 pts) What is it 8 bits of?
b.) (5 pts) What is the best SQNR it can achieve?
2. Suppose we have a signal whose maximum frequency is 44kHz and whos minimum frequency is 500 Hz.
a.) (3 pts) What is the minimum sampling rate that we could use for this signal?
b.) (5 pts) Say we encode the signal at 8 bits per sample and the signal is in stereo. What would the data rate be (in kB/sec)?
3. (8 pts) Suppose the sampling frequency is 1.5 times the frequency. What is the alias frequency?
4. (8 pts) Explain the difference between uniform and non-uniform quantization. Why might we want to use non-uniform quantization?
5. (8 pts) Our input signal has values: 21 25 26 32 21 25 27 24 22 22 22 22. Suppose we use a predictor as follows:
What values would we transmit using lossless predictive coding?
Compose a piece of music using matlab. Your piece should include musical notes (10 pts), mixtures of musical notes (ie chords - 10 pts), recorded sounds (15 pts), imported samples of audio files (15 pts). You will also receive points for flair and creativity (10 pts). The file notes.m contains frequencies for musical notes and will be helpful when composing your song. The file freqplay.m gives simple examples of how to implement each of these compositional features.